Do you give unsolicited travel advice to people who don’t have a passport? Are you looking to get your foot in the door of the exciting world of travel writing? Do you get excited about researching meaningful travel experiences around the world? Are you highly attentive to detail, a strong writer, and on team Oxford comma? Do you have a giant crush on Andy Steves? If you said yes to nearly all of these questions, you may be a perfect candidate for admission to the GoAbroad Writer’s Academy!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Write on average two (2) original travel guides monthly for publication on GoAbroad.
- Midterm and final project TBA.
- Commit 10-12 hours monthly to devote to writing, researching, and editing from February 1, 2018 – July 31, 2017.
- OPTIONAL: Editing Bootcamp Series. Inquire after admission* to program.
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Ongoing mentorship from professional editors.
- Increased access to external writing opportunities and online journalism courses.
- Personalized shout outs and publicity among our networks of 150,000+ travel lovers.
- One LinkedIn recommendation and/or one written recommendation letter.
- A formal certificate of completion.
- Given priority for editorial internships in our Philippines or Ireland offices upon course completion.
- Potential to represent GoAbroad.com on the ground with our partners abroad upon completion.
- Exceptional members will be privy to strategic introductions across the field of international education. Get your foot in the door, be strongly considered for cool job op’s, and progress from our “student” to our “colleague!”
- In-depth knowledge of and interest in international travel/education field including study, intern, volunteer, teach, work, TEFL, degree, and high school program opportunities (Note: Travel experience in one or more of these areas is necessary).
- Native English speaker.
- Excellent writing skills and enthusiasm for experiential education.
- Ability to manage time independently, remain self-motivated, meet deadlines, research effectively, and communicate productively despite virtual nature of the position.
- Ability to unerringly track and manage remote projects.
- Familiarity with GoogleDriveLandia, aka Google Drive.
- PREFERRED: A background (or working towards a degree in) one or more of the following areas: Marketing, Journalism, Online or Digital Marketing, Intercultural Studies, Creative Writing, International Education, or a related field.
- Fill out the Writer’s Academy Application form
- DEADLINE TO APPLY: JANUARY 7, 2018
ABOUT THE WRITER’S ACADEMY
As a key part of the GoAbroad editorial team, Writer’s Academy students will learn how to source, research, write, execute, and market online content specifically for the international education industry. If you’ve ever wanted a start in the field of online travel writing or international education, this is the perfect opportunity for you to gain experience with a global, well-established, and respected company.
What did past Members love most about the Writer’s Academy?
“I definitely feel like my writing is stronger now and that is thanks in large part to the editorial feedback” — Petrina Darrah, Spring 2016. Petrina later completed a GoAbroad internship in the Philippines and currently works as freelance writer in international education.
“I appreciate the straight-talk, practical approach of the curriculum. The course material was well organized and informative, with a healthy dose of pizzazz mixed in.” — Jade Lansing, Spring 2017. Jade is currently a GoAbroad MTI.
“What I wanted to accomplish was to become a better writer (especially in terms of travel writing) and learn more about the field, and I think I’ve achieved both!” — Cathryn Fortuna, Fall 2017. Cathryn will continue to build on her experience as a remote editorial intern with GoAbroad in the spring.
GoAbroad.com urges individuals to do more than travel. It is an online resource for people to find and compare study, volunteer, intern, and teaching programs abroad. GoAbroad.com guides future travelers to be intentional about their time going abroad, home, and back again, and to consider their journey an experience filled with opportunities to learn, share, educate, and serve.