Hey there fellow wanderlusters and wordsmiths! Looking to get your foot in the door of the world of travel writing and international education? Are you all about meaningful travel? Do you wield your pen like a pocket-sized sword, taking on the world one country–and one word–at a time? Sounds like you’re a perfect fit for the GoAbroad Writer’s Academy.
What is the GoAbroad Writer’s Academy?
As a key part of the GoAbroad editorial team, Writer’s Academy students will learn how to source, research, write, execute, and market online content specifically for the youth travel and international education industry. So if the description above fits you to a T, this is the intensive online journalism course for you.
GoAbroad hosts a new Writer’s Academy cohort every six months. Our next cohort will begin in April 2019 beginning with a three month stint. Only the top performers will be invited to participate in the subsequent three months for more in-depth professional training.
What’s new in the GoAbroad Writer’s Academy version 2.0?
After extensive feedback from past members, we’ve decided to up the ante with our new iteration of the Writer’s Academy. This means a greater focus on learning advanced on-page SEO skills, more community learning opportunities (#PeerReviews), and a broader assignment portfolio—researching and writing travel guides, learning more about program providers and the industry, helping readers make decisions, conducting keyword research, and sharing advice in long-form articles.
We ask writers to commit to the following:
- ~10 hours of work monthly for 3 months
- One hour to review new course material
- Two writing assignments at roughly 2-4 hours per assignment
- One hour for editing and peer review with other cohort members.
- Active on-going participation in our group communication channel
- Clear communication
- Meet deadlines
- Support and encourage yourself and other cohort members!
- All of the above, but with more in-depth training and more challenging, varied writing coursework
- Advanced preparation to become the best freelance writer you can be—for GoAbroad and beyond
- Access to paid writing opportunities at GoAbroad following program completion
What You’ll Get
- FREE, rare opportunity for professional skill building and training that you can’t find anywhere else
- Thoughtful and on-going guidance, support, and mentorship from the GoAbroad.com editorial team to help you improve your journalistic prowess
- Exposure to a fast growing industry, experienced writing professionals, and mission-driven work
- A beautiful authorship page and online portfolio! (Example here)
- Lessons in securing travel jobs, building your online brand, advanced SEO, developing a memorable editorial voice, and more—plus access to all curriculum for forever!
- A new community of travel-loving writers
- Personalized shout outs and publicity among our networks of 150,000+ wanderlusters
- Increased access to external writing opportunities and journalism courses
- Heaps of international editorial experience for your CV/resume
- Potential for recommendation letters from professionals in the field
- Potential for full-time professional experience in the GoAbroad Philippines office upon completion
What do past members have to say about their experiences?
“I loved how comprehensive it was. Going into it, I expected it to just be about how to blog better, and how to bump readership. I’m glad to say it taught me much more than that! I feel like I have a great launching point for a journey into the freelancing world now, too, and much more confidence in my writing! ” – Cathryn Fortuna
“Often this industry can feel tough to break into and I am scared of making mistakes. The Editorial Team understands you make mistakes, then corrects them kindly & effectively.” —Rachel Taylor
“It’s so simple, but I LOVED reading about all these places in the world I’ve never been, becoming an expert on traveling meaningfully, sharing my knowledge on the site, and being able to share my published work.” —Liz Gorga
This is your chance to lay the groundwork for your future success as a travel writer
This nurturing space gives you ample coaching and technical training to make you the most well rounded and informed travel writer that you can possibly be. Learn how to capture the spirit of travel and inspire hundreds of thousands of readers to take the leap and go abroad.
APPLICATIONS CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED
It’s go-time! Applications are being accepted. You can apply now by following this link.
If your fingers are already itching to get started, but you can’t make this cohort work with your schedule, you’re still in luck. We’re actively seeking passionate, adventurous souls to be a part of our future writers community (aka YOU) for the NEXT COHORT, fall 2019. Fill out this form to be alerted of our next application window.
Questions? Email Megan.Lee@GoAbroad.com
A LITTLE ABOUT GOABROAD.COM
GoAbroad.com urges individuals to do more than travel. It is an online resource for people to find and compare study, volunteer, intern, and teaching programs abroad. GoAbroad.com guides future travelers to be intentional about their time going abroad, home, and back again, and to consider their journey an experience filled with opportunities to learn, share, educate, and serve.